Sunday, July 5, 2015

Desert People


phoenix4














Sun seems to balance on the sharp spines of saguaros
before sinking to earth as though pierced.
          His life-blood spills on the western horizon.
Crimson and fire splash across the heavens--
a flash of glory that soon will fade.


Darkness now gathers and covers day's sorrows,
its thick scattering of stars,
          like polished shell-beads on a blanket.
Owl calls, coyote cries out as night falls
silent and cold in the depths of earth's shade.


Moon rises. Like the shaman, she comes to heal.
The mystery of her ways are revered and feared
          by Ancient Hohokam and Tohono O'oodham
and all desert people who watch, wait, and listen
for holy things the desert will reveal.

Bonnie Hamilton Beuning
© April 2015 revised July 2015




I thought I could wait until November to post this.  November is Native American Heritage Month, although most of us don't see that on our calendars.  I decided to post it today for two reasons: 1) it's one of those poems that asks for improvement each time I see it, yet my revised versions are usually no better, and get changed back to my original, more impromptu thoughts; 2) during these hot days on the Great Plains, I long for the cooling of the Sonoran desert sunsets, and the cool dark nights below the stars that can steal all memory of the blazing heat of day.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.  

--BonnieB

Prayer of Peace

Peace before us,
            Peace behind us,
            Peace under our feet.

Peace within us,
            Peace over us,
            Let all around us be peace.

Christ before us,
            Christ behind us,
            Christ under our feet.

Christ within us,
            Christ over us,
            Let all around us be Christ.


based on a Navaho prayer, David Haas


About the photo:  I looked long and hard for an image to post with the poem. I know I've photographed similar scenes many times, but not with great skill.  This image was listed on the web under "free images" and other than that, I couldn't find where to get permission, in case it is indeed copyrighted.  I love giving credit to photographers and artists, and links to their work when its possible.  



No comments:

Post a Comment